Monday, November 17, 2008

Singapore in 24 hours

Oh I forgot to write about that one. Highlights of the trip:

Theresa's wedding- I almost forgot how much fun I always had in Chinese weddings, well not like Andrea's in the Caymans where we drank ourselves silly with Conundrums and beautiful beaches. But the Chinese traditions and values, getting together with family, and of course, getting William tipsy at the reception, seeing my dad having drinking competition with no-longer-little Simon, and getting his ass handed to him on a silver platter. They were priceless moments. The usual Chin-Tan paparazzi showed up in full force, 8 cameras for every shot. Digital seemed so obsolete. Unfortunately, the weak groom got drunk by 8pm, otherwise it'd have made for a fun after-party.

So I had to find my own fun. Met Julianne at Singapok's Supperclub. Wow wow wow... 80% Europeans, 20% Singaporeans. I thought I walked into London or something. Pulsating house music, cool ambience with strong drinks to top it off. For once, Jules OUTDRANK ME!! Oddly enough there were tonnes of Frenchies, the younger more obnoxious kind. [Made me wonder what M was like in his younger wilder HK days.]

Made me reflect of where I'll fit in in Sing... The Sing male crowd was quite blah... either they are cute, and know it and just plain stuckup, or they are somewhat persistent and annoying. The expats at the club, are well, kind of like dogs... At real supper later, while devouring my roti prata, some rude Italian decided to interrupt my moment of bliss by intruding into our conversation. He labelled me a "Wanchai girl" (??!!) [i was in a cute respectable red/white polka dot dress, innocently eating my prata without making eyes at ANYONE], thought all clubs in Singapore had live bands, akin to Wanchai's Joe Bananas, thought eating at hawker center was cheap, and how much $$ he made. i wanted to splash my half-eaten curry into his pothole-ridden face [he was those kind of "failed in london, try HK/Sing" kind]. Ok very very rude of me, I know. But I was really infuriated. How dare these stupid colonial-pigheads insult respectable women in their local land? I wanted to chastise his Singaporean friend, for sitting there and just laughing along. Dude, don't you have any sense of local pride? This pighead could have been insulting your sister, or your girlfriend or your friends. Weak Singaporean man.

Ok, maybe I'm overreacting now. But that's the problem with local Asians. Asian women adulate foreign male attention, and happily lap up stupid abuse. Asian men, most are too feeble to stand up to their women, let alone foreign men. So it's up to NY-trained Asian women like me to give it to them. Great way to fit into Asia!!

Watch out, you obnoxious men in HK.... I'm not tolerating this BS.

What else....

They started firing again... heard horror stories today, which I shan't elaborate. Don't want to get my blog featured on WSJ!! 

While twiddling my thumb at work, I started budgeting for HK. Gosh, the amount of money I can save there is significant! I'm talking at least a few Gs per month, if I spend my money wisely. Compared to NYC now, which is -ve FCF. Well, at least I had 3 years of vicarious sweet memories to cherish.

Gosh I am going to miss this city....

No comments: